endocrinologist near me: An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in diseases of hormones, metabolism, and nutritional problems.
Your main doctor refers you to an endocrinologist when you have a problem in the endocrine system (eg hypothyroidism, etc.), a metabolism disorder (eg diabetes, osteoporosis, etc.) or a nutritional problem (eg obesity, malnutrition, etc.)
In addition to their care work, endocrinologists ( endocrinologist near me) also conduct research to understand the functioning of the human body and to better understand the diseases that affect it, in addition to seeking new treatments. Based on research, endocrinologists develop new drugs and treatments for hormonal, metabolic, and nutritional problems. Finally, endocrinology specialists collaborate in the training of other doctors and health groups.
What do endocrinologists do?
Endocrinologists have been trained to diagnose and treat a variety of problems, including:
- Hormonal and glandular:
- Thyroid diseases
- Short stature
- Cancer of the glands
- Nutritional support in situations of illness (eg surgery, cancer, etc.)
Endocrinologist: what it is, what it does, and when to go for a consultation and endocrinologist near me
The endocrinologist ( endocrinologist near me ) is the specialist doctor evaluating the entire endocrine system, which is the body’s system related to the production of hormones that are important for various functions in the body.
For this reason, it may be important to consult the endocrinologist ( endocrinologist near me ) when symptoms arise that may indicate alterations in the production of hormones, such as difficulty losing weight, easy weight gain, excess hair in women and breast growth in children, for example, since it can be related to alterations in the thyroid, diabetes or obesity, for example.
When to go to the endocrinologist near me
It is recommended to consult the endocrinologist ( endocrinologist near me )when signs and symptoms are observed that may indicate alterations in the production of hormones. Thus, some of the situations in which it is indicated to go to this specialist are:
- Difficulty losing weight;
- Quick weight gain;
- Excessive tiredness;
- Alterations in the menstrual cycle;
- Delayed puberty or precocious puberty;
- An increase in the size of the thyroid;
- Excess hair in women;
- Breast growth in children;
- Signs and symptoms of andropause or menopause;
- Presence of symptoms related to diabetes such as excessive thirst and increased urge to urinate, for example.
Thus, the presence of these or other signs and symptoms should be evaluated by the endocrinologist, since in this way it is possible to carry out an evaluation of the general state of health of the person and indicate the performance of blood tests with the goal of checking the levels of certain hormones in the blood.
more post: Bromine allergy symptoms
Diseases that the endocrinologist treats
As there are several hormones produced by the body, the endocrinologist’s( endocrinologist near me ) area of action is very wide, so he can be consulted for the treatment of various diseases, the main ones being:
- Thyroid disorders, such as hyper and hypothyroidism, goiter and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, for example, is indicated in these cases the measurement of the hormones TSH, T3, and T4, which are hormones whose production may be increased or decreased according to the alteration of the thyroid gland;
- Diabetes, in which the measurement of glycemia is carried out in aid and other tests so that the diagnosis can be confirmed, identifying the type of diabetes and indicating the most appropriate treatment;
- Hirsutism, which is a hormonal alteration that can occur in women due to increased levels of testosterone in the blood or decreased production of estrogen, and which can result in hair growth in areas where there is normally no, like the chest, face, and belly, for example;
- Obesity, because it is common for there to be an alteration in thyroid hormones, as well as being common for people to have diabetes;
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which is characterized by the alteration in the levels of circulating female hormones in the blood, which can favor the formation of cysts in the ovaries, which can result in an alteration of the menstrual cycle and difficulty in getting pregnant;
- Cushing’s syndrome is a hormonal disease characterized by an increase in the amount of circulating cortisol in the blood, resulting in rapid weight gain and fat accumulation in the abdominal area.
- Alterations in growth, such as dwarfism or gigantism, since these situations are related to the levels of growth hormone (GH) in the body.
In addition, the endocrinologist ( endocrinologist near me ) can help alleviate the symptoms of menopause, because by evaluating the levels of the hormones estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone in the woman’s blood, he can indicate the most appropriate hormone replacement therapy to relieve symptoms.
When to see an endocrinologist lose weight
Some of the difficulties in losing weight may be related to hormonal changes. Thus, it is important to consult an endocrinologist when the person cannot lose weight even with a healthy and balanced diet, or by practicing regular physical activity, so that tests can be carried out to evaluate hormone levels. In addition, it may also be recommended to consult an endocrinologist ( endocrinologist near me ) to help the weight loss process when the person is more than 20 kg in weight or is obese.
In the first consultation with the endocrinologist, (endocrinologist near me ) the doctor must collect and evaluate some important data such as weight, height, age, waist, and hip circumference, to know the risk that the individual has of suffering cardiovascular problems, in addition to this, will indicate the treatment you must follow to reach the ideal weight.
In general, the doctor asks to schedule a new consultation 1 month after starting the treatment, in order to evaluate the weight and check if the treatment is having the expected effect or not. When the person does not lose the weight they need or when they need to lose more than 30 kg, the doctor may suggest surgery to reduce the size of the stomach called bariatric surgery.
However, in addition to medications or the recommendation of surgery, the endocrinologist ( endocrinologist near me ) will also indicate the performance of exercises, according to the possibility of the person, and will also refer the individual to the nutritionist to be able to adapt the diet to achieve weight loss.